Before I look at retrograde planets, I would like to point out that while our Sun sign, Nodes and retrograde planets (and other things in our chart) can highlight past life / karmic issues and challenges, it does not mean that you were ‘bad’ or you ‘failed’ in a past life, so do not judge yourself harshly.
I believe that each soul comes into this world with its own chosen mission, a set of lessons it has volunteered to learn and an array of challenges it has opted to take. These are all designed to help the soul to grow and learn. However, here on earth, I believe we have free will to decide whether or how we take on those challenges.
Please also bear in mind when you read the ‘meanings’ I list for each retrograde planet that these are merely suggestions in keeping with the traditional symbolism of each planet. Do not take them as ‘read’, use them as a starting point to prompt you, then let your own experience and intuition guide you towards what your retrograde planet means to you personally. There’s no right or wrong answer.
It’s also worth considering that some past life issues simply need to be released so the soul can move forward. For example, souls who were persecuted for their ideas and opinions in a past life may need to release a fear of speaking freely in this life so that they can fulfill their mission. Souls who led spiritual past lives and took vows of chastity or poverty, may need to release themselves from those vows in this life, in order to let go of negative fears and emotions around prosperity and sexuality. For some tips on release-ment, see my previous blog post here.
Retrograde Planets and Past Lives
All the planets (except the Sun and Moon) spend some time retrograde and most people have one or more retrograde planet in their birth chart. When a planet is retrograde, you are likely to experience its energy internally and subjectively. In early life you may have difficulties with the areas of life the planet represents, but you will get a second chance later in life.
Karmic astrologers believe that retrograde planets in our birth chart represent:
- Unfinished business from past lives.
- A second chance to balance your karma by working out a past life issue.
- A chance to let go of a past life issue that is holding you back in this lifetime.
- Past life energies that can be used to help your soul’s growth in this lifetime.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement that was denied in a past life.
- Unfinished business from a past life around communicating and expressing yourself.
- A second chance to overcome a past life fear of criticism.
- A chance to let go of past life fears of speaking your truth freely. Perhaps you were victimized for your opinions in a past life, but now you have the opportunity to speak up and be heard.
- An opportunity for soul growth through learning to listen to other’s point of view, or through learning to be flexible and open to new ideas.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through learning and education. If education was denied you in past life, you can make up for it in this life.
- Unfinished business from past life relationships.
- A second chance to experience love and affection denied or lost in a past life.
- A chance to let go of unhelpful emotional behaviors and fears by engaging in relationships. For example, learning to trust and open up to others.
- A chance to release and heal low self esteem issues from past lives.
- An opportunity for soul growth through learning to give and receive in relationships.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through relationship and intimacy and/or through valuing yourself and others.
- Unfinished business from past lives around competition and self assertion.
- A second chance to balance karma from past misdeeds that you still subconsciously feel guilty about.
- A chance to let go of anger and frustration left over from a past life.
- An opportunity for soul growth through learning to assert yourself in a positive and healthy way.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through taking positive action towards getting what you truly want and need.
- An opportunity to learn how to follow your passions and desires.
- An opportunity find closure from past life issues by looking deeply within yourself to find truth and meaning.
- A chance to let go of past life feelings of not being deserving of life’s rewards and riches.
- An opportunity for soul growth through resolving issues around spiritual and religious beliefs. (For example, perhaps you were persecuted in a past life for your religion or maybe you were forced to follow a religion you didn’t believe in.)
- A second chance to find fulfillment and achievement through:
- ~Deep study and higher learning.
- ~Experiencing different countries and cultures.
- ~Learning to have faith in life, yourself and the world.
- Unfinished business from past lives where you may have felt inadequate, pessimistic or blocked. These issues can be worked out by facing them head on and taking positive steps to resolve them.
- A second chance to balance karma by working out issues from a past life where you had difficulty taking responsibility or setting healthy boundaries.
- A chance to let go of fears that may have held you back in a past life.
- An opportunity for soul growth through being a parent or becoming an authority.
- Soul growth from succeeding and earning respect by your own efforts, without cutting corners.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through patiently and diligently working towards long term goals.
- Unfinished business from past lives where you resisted change. In this life you learn that change can be a good thing.
- A chance to balance past life karma by daring to do things your own way, even if it upsets the status quo.
- A chance to let go of a past life fear of being persecuted for being different.
- An opportunity to pursue independence and freedom that was denied in a past life.
- An opportunity for soul growth through embracing your individuality and originality.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through living life authentically, being true to who you are.
- Unfinished business from past lives where you were super sensitive. In this life you can learn to use your sensitivity to help others while at the same time learning to set healthy personal boundaries.
- A chance to balance karma by embracing your creativity and imagination, especially if you didn’t nurture these in a past life.
- A chance to let go of unhelpful fantasies and escapist tendencies that held you back in a past life.
- An opportunity for soul growth through learning that there is more to life than what you can see and touch with your five senses.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through fostering compassion for yourself and for all life.
- Unfinished business from past lives around issues of power and control. Perhaps you had no power or control in a past life, or perhaps you had too much and abused it. In this life you learn that power and control can be used in healthy, constructive ways, not in destructive ways. You may also need to recognize that there are some things in life that you cannot control.
- A chance to balance your karma and regenerate yourself by purging unhelpful, self-sabotaging behaviors and emotions.
- A chance to balance karma by seeking fresh perspectives on old (past life) problems, in order to release yourself from them.
- A chance to let go of a past life ‘addiction’ to crisis and upheaval by learning that there is a calmer, more controlled way of dealing with life’s ups and downs.
- An opportunity for soul growth through learning to trust your instincts.
- Soul growth through learning that while you can’t always control what happens to you, you can control how you react and respond.
- A chance to find fulfillment and achievement through learning to be honest and forgiving in your dealings with others.
Part 2: The Moon’s Nodes and Past Lives
Resources and Further Reading:
You can get a copy of your chart for free at www.alabe.com
Book recommendation: Karmic Astrology, Retrogrades and Reincarnation by Martin Schulman